FortWhyte Alive will play host to the 2017 Canada Summer Games from July 28 to August 13! The newly developed Bison Butte will serve as a venue for mountain bike competition during the Games.
About the Course
The Bison Butte Mountain Bike Course is a major legacy project of the 2017 Canada Summer Games. The project was initiated by the Manitoba Cycling Association and will be the first of its kind in a city of Winnipeg’s size. The course is a series of interlocking trails suitable for all levels of mountain biking including berms, a pump track, rock gardens and table tops.
Bison Butte is accessible from FortWhyte Alive's Storied People's Trail (the North Trail on our property), which leads off behind the Alloway Reception Centre. The walk to Bison Butte is approximately 2 km, or 25 minutes–simply follow the signs posted on-site to make your way there. View the Map (PDF)
PLEASE NOTE: Admission fees are applicable for those choosing to access the Canada Summer Games site via FortWhyte Alive's trails. Guests should check in at the front desk before continuing on to Bison Butte.
Bison Butte will also be accessible via the Cabela's parking lot, at 580 Sterling Lyon Parkway in Winnipeg. The walk to Bison Butte from this point is approximately 10 minutes, and parking will be free for Canada Summer Games event attendees.
Please visit the Canada Summer Games website for the full schedule of Mountain Bike events taking place at Bison Butte. Tickets for these events are free.
Special Programming at FortWhyte Alive
Get outside and experience Manitoba's wilderness! We will have special programming running daily during the Canada Summer Games. Many programs are free with admission to FortWhyte Alive.
Venture inside FortWhyte Alive’s bison prairie for an up-close encounter you’ve got to see to believe.
This special Bison Safari experience is designed for our young adventurers, featuring age-appropriate lessons about prairie history, a chance to touch real bison artifacts, and other special kid-friendly additions to this popular experience.
- Monday, July 22 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
- Monday, August 19 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Or register with our bookings office by phone at (204) 989-8355 x 311
- $18 for Adults
- $15 for FortWhyte Alive Members
- $10 for Child Under 12 (children must be accompanied by an adult)
Please note that this experience at FortWhyte Alive is non-refundable, unless cancelled by FortWhyte due to inclement weather or ground conditions.
To extend your visit to see and explore more of FortWhyte Alive, general admission still applies, and is not included in the ticket price.
About This Experience
- Tour length is 1 hour
- Guests are encouraged to bring a camera (and to take a bison selfie!)
- Passengers must remain on the bus at all times.
- Bus does not accommodate wheelchairs; passengers must be able board the bus independently.
- Bison Safaris are weather and ground conditions-dependent; tours may be cancelled or postponed.
- End your tour with lunch at the Buffalo Stone Café (no admission required) or a visit to FortWhyte Alive (general admission required).
- This program is suggested for ages 3-16. Children must be accompanied by an adult
Get a taste of what it was like to be an adventuring voyageur.
Enjoy the wind on your cheeks and the spray of water on your hands as you help us paddle our mighty voyageur canoe across the lake. Afterwards, gather around a roaring fire to roast bannock. This experience is a great way to get active while learning a little bit about of Manitoba’s cultural history.
- Saturday, July 6 1 - 3 pm
- Saturday, August 3 1 - 3 pm
- Monday, September 2 1 - 3 pm
No Registration Required
- This experience is suggested for ages 5+. Those under 16 must be accompanied by an adult on the canoe.
- *Paddling may be cancelled due to inclement weather (e.g. lightning or winds above 25 km/hr) at the discretion of FortWhyte Alive staff and volunteers.
Admission and Rentals
Admission to FortWhyte Alive supports environmental education programming for Manitoba's students.
FortWhyte Alive Members: FREE (become a member!)
Older Adults (65+): $7
Students & Children: $6
Children 2 and under: FREE
CAA members receive one free admission with the purchase of one adult admission. Open to current CAA Members only.
Set your own pace! Rent a cruiser bike, fishing gear, rowboats, and more. Visit our Seasonal Rental and Activities page for more information and pricing.