Secure Online Registration
2018 summer camp registration is now open. Click here to register now.
Our system allows you to register all your children at one time without entering the same information multiple times, and lets you pay once with a single shopping cart. You can save unfinished forms to complete later. In addition, you can instantly see what camp sessions are currently available (full sessions will be greyed out). You can expect that a new registration will take about 10 minutes to complete.
Our online registration system is powered by CampBrain, a leading provider of online camp services, who use the highest level of internet security commercially available.
Important: Parents must not register children from families other than their own using our online registration process. If you register a child from another family, neither registration will be accepted. If a family registers a child other than their own, the registration will be invalid until that child’s parent/guardian provides FortWhyte Alive with contact information and signed waiver forms. Each family will be assessed a $25 administrative fee.
Pick-up and Drop-off
Camp drop off is between 8:00 am and 9:00 am. While waiting, kids participate in low organized games, songs, crafts and activities lead by the counsellors. Camp programming begins at 9 am sharp.
Camp programming ends at 4:00 pm*. Campers may be picked up between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm while they participate in low organized games, songs, and activities lead by the counsellors.
|Kinder Camp||Interpretive Centre*
1961 McCreary Road
|Rabbit Rangers||Interpretive Centre*
1961 McCreary Road
|EcoQuest||Outdoor Adventure Site
2505 McGillivray Boulevard
|Fox Bay||Alloway Reception Centre
1961 McCreary Road
|Summer Specialty Days||Outdoor Adventure Site
2505 McGillivray Boulevard
*Please park in the main lot at the Alloway Reception Centre and walk your child over to the Interpretive Centre (this is about a two-minute walk).
Garbageless Lunches and Snacks
Environmental education is the primary mandate of FortWhyte Alive. During their week-long adventures, children are introduced to nature and the various ways they, as individuals, can make small but important contributions to the future well-being of our planet. One such way is through reducing the amount of garbage used in packaging lunches and snacks. Here are some pointers to help you prepare garbageless lunches and snacks:
- REDUCE: Avoid over-packaged items such as cheese and cracker snacks, individually packaged yogurts and puddings, or pre-packaged, ’deli’ lunches.
- REUSE: With the many sizes and shapes of Tupperware available, you can pack just about anything in a reusable container. Old sour margarine tubs are also great for replacing plastic wrap! Thermoses are excellent for hot or cold lunches. Use reusable nylon or cloth lunch bags to carry food.
- RECYCLE: FortWhyte has collection bins for aluminum cans, glass and plastic. There is also an active compost program for organic food wastes such as fruit peels and cores.
Healthy Bagged Lunch Option
Families can choose to include a healthy bagged lunch to your camper's experience, thoughtfully prepared by the Buffalo Stone Cafe.
Menu: To view the 2018 menu click here.
Cost: $52/week ($13/day) + taxes.
*Please note that the Buffalo Stone Café is not a nut, gluten or seafood-free kitchen. While all precautions will be taken we cannot guarantee that any food item has not come into contact with these allergens.
Nuts and Nut Products Policy
For the safety of all our campers, NUTS, PEANUTS AND NUT PRODUCTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM DAY CAMP PROGRAMS. Please be sure to read all product ingredient labels very carefully.
What to Pack for Camp
Clothes & Belongings
- Be sure to label all your child’s belongings as FortWhyte Alive will not be responsible for lost or missing articles.
- Please send your child in clothes that are practical for crafts and outdoor play.
- For security reasons, we are unable to allow campers’ belongings to remain at FortWhyte overnight.
What To Bring (Summer Camps)
- Hat, sunscreen, non-aerosol insect repellent
- A garbageless lunch that contains no nuts or nut products
- Two garbageless snacks containing no nuts or nut products
- Water bottle
- A change of clothes
- Rainwear and rubber boots or extra footwear
- Bathing suit, towel, close-toed water shoes (no Crocs!)
- Please refrain from bringing valuables AND electronics
Kinder Camp: Campers do not need to bring any of the swimming items. Please also bring a sleeping bag, pillow, or soft toy to rest with during quiet time.
Swimming and Water Safety
FortWhyte Alive is pleased to include swimming in our lakes as a favourite part of our camp programming with the exception of Kinder Camp. As with most activities there are some inherent risks; however we strive to ensure a fun and safe environment for all and our waterfront is supervised by a National Lifeguard Service Award certified lifeguard. We recognize that not all parents/guardians are comfortable with this activity; therefore alternate programming will be available for all campers who do not have consent from their parent to swim. As part of the registration process you will be asked whether or not you provide consent for your child to swim.
FortWhyte routinely tests for water quality on our lakes, and follows provincial guidelines for beach testing. Parents will be advised if at any time our testing indicates any concerns with water quality. Furthermore, we implement the following precautions with campers:
- All campers and staff must wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD) during all water activities, including swimming. PFDs are supplied by FortWhyte to all campers for these activities.
- During swimming all campers are required to wear water shoes (aqua socks, old runners, etc.). We have a collection of lost-and-found water shoes but since these are limited in size and availability, we ask parents to pack their own for their children. They can be purchased for $5-$10 at stores such as: Walmart or Canadian Tire.
- Staffs swim with campers at a minimum ratio of 1:5
- Campers are advised to avoid swallowing lake water.
- Avoiding swimming with an open cut or wound, or if experiencing illness.
- Kinder Campers do not participate in swimming.
- If your child must be away from camp for any unexpected reason such as an illness, please call (204) 989-8355 x 209.
- If your child must be away due to a planned reason such as an appointment, please inform your child's camp leader ahead of time and provide a written note.
- No refunds will be issued for missed days unless accompanied by doctor's note, less a 10% administration fee.
Cancellations made 10 or more days in advance of session start date will be fully refunded, less a 10% administration fee.
Cancellations made 10 or fewer days in advance of session start date will be issued a credit (less a 10% administration fee). The credit can be used for another FortWhyte Alive camp session and is valid for a year. Credits can be transferred between immediate family members in the household.
Registration transfers requested 10 or more days in advance of session start date will be granted if there is room.
Registration transfers requested 10 or fewer days in advance will be granted if there is room, less a 10% administration fee.
In accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, names, addresses, or other personal information collected by FortWhyte Alive will only be used for internal purposes such as informational mailings, membership renewals and other communications, and will not be shared with any third party. You have the right to request that your name and other information not be used for any internal FortWhyte Alive marketing purposes. If your information changes or if you no longer wish to receive communication from us, please let us know by calling (204) 989-8355 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.