Get Outside and Teach!
Outdoor Education means getting as many students in Manitoba learning outside at school, as often as possible, promoting sustainable living through hands-on experiences of the natural world.
|Outdoor education is vitally important, now more than ever in the past. As more people share a limited amount of natural space, and lead lives less directly connected to the natural space, we are losing touch with the natural support systems that sustain us. Instead of valuing nature, we damage it; instead of stewardship, we practice exploitation; instead of love for the natural world, we begin to fear it.Early in 2011, FortWhyte Alive and Manitoba Education and Advanced Learning partnered to produce a tool to help teachers and other classroom educators reverse this trend. Students who regualrly participate in outdoor education show they:
The really amazing part: every educator can be an Outdoor Educator!
How can you become an Outdoor Educator?
Teacher Professional Development
- modular workshops, involving theory, practice, risk management, and curriculum linking
- manuals and workplans supporting workshops
- practical, field-tested lesson plans for teaching outside in Manitoba
- NEW! Offering online webcast for situations when travel is prohibitive (thank you to Frontier School Division) - Click to view webcast.
Building on FortWhyte Alive's 40 years of teaching outside, and current best standards and practices in the outdoor education field, services offered as part of OE:
- safety analysis of outdoor space
- teaching/land use idea audit
- lesson plan development to fit specific curriculum and local conditions
- combined educator/student experiences, equipping both to get outside more often
- Evaluating and building on current outdoor teaching practices at a school
- Naturalist services: filling in gaps in the “nature knowledge” of educators and students, allowing for better, more fulfilling outdoor experiences
Naturescape for Educators
- Resource for schoolyard greening and naturalization
- landscaping and activity advice
- written resources for schools and educators
- Certification and advisory visits
- ongoing support and trouble-shooting for greening projects
Resource Development and Compilation
Building and maintaining library of:
- Class ready outdoor/ESD lesson plans and activities
- Naturescape for Educators bulletins
- Outdoor Classroom kits to loan to schools