Get Outside and Teach!
Outdoor Education means getting as many students in Manitoba learning outside at school, as often as possible, promoting sustainable living through hands-on experiences of the natural world.
We live in a time and place where it’s easy to feel disconnected from the natural world that supports and sustains us. Children especially are often kept inside, away from the wonderful lessons nature offers every day.
Getting outside regularly at school can be a powerful mechanism helping students and
The benefits? Students who regularly participate in learning outdoors:
The really amazing part: every educator can be an Outdoor Educator!
How can you become an Outdoor Educator?
Teacher Professional Development
Since 2010, FortWhyte Alive has been delivering hands-on, practical professional
development on outdoor learning to educators of all backgrounds from across Canada.
- customized workshops, involving theory, practice, risk management, and curriculum linking;
- practical, field-tested lesson plans for teaching outside in a climate like Manitoba’s;
- Check out this online webcast for a sample of what a workshop might look like (thanks to Frontier School Division) - Click to view webcast.
Professional Development Workshop facilitation rates: $200/half-day, $300/full-
Consultation Services for Schools
Building on FortWhyte Alive's 40 years of teaching outside, and current best standards
and practices in the outdoor education field, we offer the following consultation services
- Safety analysis of outdoor space
- Outdoor teaching/education value of greenspace/land use idea audit
- Lesson plan development to fit specific curriculum and local conditions
- Customized educator/student opportunities at your school (Deeper Connections)
- Evaluating and building on current outdoor teaching practices at a school
- Naturalist services: filling in gaps in the “nature knowledge” of educators and students, allowing for better, more fulfilling outdoor experiences
- Resource for schoolyard greening and naturalization
- Landscaping, natural play space design and activity advice
- Written resources for schools and educators
- FortWhyte Alive Naturescape for Educators Certification and advisory visits
- Ongoing support and trouble-shooting for greening projects
Consultation rates vary based on the project. Funding is sometimes available to
help offset costs – if your school could benefit from our services, please ask us
for an estimate.