The Family Leak Detector Challenge
This Spring, FortWhyte Alive – in partnership with the City of Winnipeg Water and Waste Department – presents the Family Leak Detector Challenge!
How to Participate: Complete a leak audit in your home between March 1 and March 31, 2017. It’s easy! Check all fixtures and toilets in your house for leaks and conduct a 30-minute water meter check for any additional leaks.
What's in it for you?: Save water and money by fixing costly leaks. Each participating family will be entered in a draw to win a FortWhyte one-year family membership. Prize will be awarded via email on April 3, 2017.
Did you know?
The average Winnipegger uses 160 litres of water per day at home. That's a just under one standard bathtub of water per person!
How can you reduce your water footprint?
Check for Leaks: Water waste may be happening right under your nose!
- Use your Water Meter to find clues. If the meter is running when you are not using water, you have a leak!
- Toilet leaks can be silent and difficult to detect. Add a drop of dye to your tank, don't flush, and watch the bowl. If the water in the bowl changes colour, you have a leak!
- Drip, drop – a faucet dripping once a minute will waste 2.5 litres per week!
Fix your Leaks: Put on your plumber's hat!
- Twist your tap. Grab that wrench and give it a twist.
- Repair your toilet – you might be able to do it alone, or call in some outside help. Need some help? Check out some online videos for guidance!
- This Old House - How to Fix a Leaky or Runny Toilet
- Fix a Toilet That Keeps Running by Home Repair Tutor
Replace: Maybe it's time for an upgrade.
- WaterSense and Energy Star are good choices for appliances and fixtures.
- Manitoba Hydro offers free PowerSmart Water and Energy Saver kits.
Conserve Every Day: There's more you can do!
- Try a shower timer, and cut your shower length to five minutes. Available at the Nature Shop.
- Drink tap water! Keep a jug in the fridge. (photo of water jug)
- Plug that drain when washing vegetables, doing dishes or handwashing laundry.
- Buy a rain barrel for your garden and ditch the hose. Available in the Nature Shop.
Need more ideas? Check out our water sustainability tips by clicking here.
Find out more about Fix a Leak Week by clicking here.